Monday, June 6, 2011

A Rebirth (or Reusing Well-Loved Items)

I have had this quilt what seems like forever. It has been used as a cover on my bed, as a snuggly wrap on my couch, as a picnic blanket at the park, as a padding to cushion lying on the back deck, and much more. It has traveled extensively, with use in Minnesota, Oregon, Maine, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and California, not to mention stamps in its passport for China, Ecuador, Great Britain, and most of Europe.


To be honest, I can't even remember how this not-so-beautiful but very cozy quilt came to be mine. It was lovingly made by members of the Women's Missionary Prayer Fellowship at Mountain View Alliance Church in Snohomish and given to my mother as a thankyou for speaking at some kind of event at the church. Why it's in my possession rather than hers I'm not sure. After so long what I am sure of is that I would never have parted with it.

Except that the inevitable began to occur. Holes developed, then larger tears, and finally huge rips that threatened the integrity of the whole thing. What to do? Salvage the remaining good parts and use them to create something new.


This is what the rest of the world calls a sleepsack -- sort of a sleeping bag with armholes, to keep kids warm without the dangers of accidentally getting covers over their face. But this is what Grace calls a tuck-tuck suit. (She's a big fan of any kind of suit.)


When she outgrows this one, I think we'll go to normal bedcovers. So we're enjoying our last few months in the tuck-tuck suit phase.


After all, we still get to snuggle with the quilt, but now there's an adorable girl inside it. What could be better?


Beautiful.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

I almost forgot: Of course, the quilt was used extensively in Washington and also Illinois.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Just seeing that quilt brings back so many memories, Melinda. Some good (being with you), some bad (being in a tent.) :)

Fondly,
Glenda