Wednesday, June 22, 2011

It's Not My Favorite

That's what Grace says when we ask if she wants something and she really doesn't. For example,

Me: "Grace, would you like some cheese?"

Grace: "Yes, please!"

Me: "And would you like some grapes?"

Grace: "Yes, please."

Me: "And would you like some broccoli?"

Grace: "Um, it's not my favorite."

Well, I got to do something today that is not my favorite. I went to the dentist. In fact, to clarify, I went to the dentist about a sensitive tooth for the fourth time. He's been really great and is sleuthing out the problem, but in the meantime I'm spending 30 minutes driving there, 20 minutes in the chair, and 30 more minutes driving back. Not how I would choose to spend time with a babysitter watching the kids. And if the tooth is still sensitive next week, I get to go back for time #5 and get the filling replaced.

Definitely not my favorite.

On the other hand, I've had some really great moments with the kids in recent days -- spending time with Grace in the afternoon while Miles was napping (which gave me an unexpectedly happy glimpse at what it might be like when she stops having an afternoon quiet time), hearing Grace and Miles playing together contentedly (without me helping or running interference), and watching the two splashing each other in the tub and laughing hilariously.

Miles is my favorite buddy, and Grace is certainly my favorite girlie.

No comments: