Monday, January 9, 2012

Farewell to Some Old Friends

It's January. When I undecorate from Christmas, I like to consider moving furniture, cleaning, decluttering, and reorganizing. January seems like a good time for this, with little else on the calendar and a blank slate after holiday decorations are stored away for another year. Caring for Grace and Miles leaves a lot less time on my hands than I'd like sometimes, but I've still been working on a few projects.

Cleaning out my closet was high on my list. I haven't purchased anything new since before Grace was born (except maternity clothes), always thinking I'd make do for a while. Well, Grace is 3 1/2, Miles is nearly two years old, and I think my "while" is up. I've never been one to own lots and lots of clothes, shoes, purses, accessories, anything like that. I still manage, however, to have plenty of things in my dresser drawers that I never wear. Things get too small, too big, too worn. Things are missing buttons, missing drawstrings, missing coordinating items. Some things are perfectly wonderful -- but not suitable for a stay-at-home mom. Time to reevaluate.

I've cleared quite a bit of space and now must do laundry about every third day so I don't run out of clothes to wear. (A few strategic purchases are in order.) Lots of things have been donated to thrift stores. But I have a pair of old friends I'm unwilling to donate to a stranger.


These black, size 7.5 or 8, London-purchased Dr. Martens have walked the streets of Europe, Asia, and the U.S.  They've been worn with jeans and with a bridesmaid gown. I've never seen another pair like them. They're in great shape, and only my pregnancy-induced shoe size change could make me part with them. But I'd like for them to go to a good home where they'd be loved and well-worn. Any takers?

No comments: